Service Leadership Seminar
The Service Leadership Seminar (SLS) is a unique, weeklong experience for incoming freshman at Florida State University. It is an annual event held before the start of fall semester, August 18th-22nd, 2014, and is at no cost for students. This four and a half day seminar provides an opportunity to learn about community service, identity, and leadership. The seminar includes community service projects, workshops, speakers, and interaction with current campus leaders. SLS also provides an opportunity to develop great friendships and have fun right when you arrive on campus. Students apply for the program and are later notified of their acceptance over the summer.
Here are a few reasons to apply:
- Meet other incoming students with interest in making a positive change in the world.
- Get to know upper class students who are leaders in the Florida State community.
- Learn about community social issues and how to get involved on-campus and in the Tallahassee community.
- Gain knowledge, values, and skills to become a more responsible community member and effective leader.
- Recognize your strengths and be able to apply them.
- Develop great friendships and have fun!
Applications are available HERE and are due Friday, June 20th by 5pm (EST). Before applying and clicking on the application link, please be aware of the following application materials that will be requested from you:
- Please attach a brief description/resume of up to five extracurricular areas that you participated in during high school. Examples include: student government, athletics, clubs, community service, religious participation, theatre, etc. (PDF format required)
- Please explain your desire to participate in this program by answering the following essay questions in approximately 250 words each:
- What part do you play in creating change in your community?
- What qualities do you look for in a friend?
If you have any questions about the Service Leadership Seminar feel free to email SLScoordinator@gmail.com or call (850) 645-6856.
Hear what Service Leadership Seminar is all about by watching this video below: