The Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Distinguished Service Award was established in 1986 to honor a faculty member, administrator or staff member for their outstanding service in keeping with the principles and ideals of Dr. King. While the award is a tremendous honor, it also carries a $1,000 stipend for the recipient. This year we will seek to honor both a faculty and a staff member for their contributions throughout our community.
Both of the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Distinguished Service Award recipients will be named at FSU’s annual Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Commemoration Celebration on Tuesday, Jan. 16, 2018 at 7 p.m. in Ruby Diamond Auditorium.
- Nominations should be for a faculty or staff member who has demonstrated a longstanding commitment to Dr. King’s ideals and furthers the university’s commitment to diversity.
- Members of all racial and ethnic backgrounds are eligible for the award.
- Nominees from the faculty must demonstrate scholarly excellence and a commitment to diversity.
- Nominees from the staff must exemplify a commitment to fostering a diverse campus community.
- Nominations are DUE – Friday, Dec. 8 by 5 p.m
Nomination packets should be sent electronically in one file and should include:
- Cover Letter: This letter should include contact information for the faculty or staff member organizing the nomination materials. This letter is in addition to the required three letters of support.
- Nominee Information: A resume and/or short biography.
- Letters of Support: Three letters of support, one of which, must come from the nominee’s administrative department or academic department, must be submitted on behalf of the nominee.
Complete nomination packets, including all materials, must be received by electronically by Mr. Miguel Ángel Hernández at firstname.lastname@example.org or physically delivered to the Center for Leadership & Social Change.
Should you have questions regarding the nomination process, please contact Mr. Hernández via email at email@example.com or by phone at 850-644-3342.
Distinguished Service Award Past Recipients
|2016||Dr. Bruce Lamont||College of Business|
|2015||Dr. Rhea Lathan||Department of English|
|2014||Dr. Penny Ralston||College of Human Sciences|
|2013||Dr. Kendall Campbell||College of Medicine|
|2012||Mr. Jimmy Pastrano||Educational Leadership & Policy Studies Department|
|2011||Ms. Vanessa Solomon||The Center for Leadership and Social Change|
|2010||Dr. Maxine Montgomery||College of Arts & Sciences|
|2009||Dr. Tamara Bertrand Jone||College of Education|
|2008||Dr. Jose Rodriguez||College of Education|
|2007||Dr. Davis Houck||College of Communication|
|2006||Retha Bowman||Building Services|
|2005||Angela Richardson||Center for Academic Retention & Enhancement|
|2004||Roberta Christie||International Center|
|2003||Earle Lee||Boys' Choir|
|2002||Jenice Rankins||Nutrition, Food & Exercise Science|
|2001||Billy R. Close||Department of Criminology|
|1999||Dr. Jawole Willa Jo Zollar||Department of Dance|
|1998||Joy M. Bowen||Student Affairs|
|1997||Sheila Ortiz-Taylor||Department of English|
|1996||Andre J. Thomas||College of Music|
|1995||Fred Seamon||Public Administration|
|1994||R. Bruce Bickley, Jr.||Department of English|
|1993||Freddie Groomes||Office of Human Resources|
|1992||Sandra Rackley||Office of Undergraduate Studies|
|1991||Joe M. Richardson||History|
|1990||Melvin T. Stith||Marketing|
|1989||Douglas G. St. Angelo||History|
|1989||Maxine D. Jones||Political Science|
|1986||William R. Jones||Black Studies|