The Restore Store is brought to you by the Women’s Leadership Institute (WLI). To learn more about WLI, visit thecenter.fsu.edu/wli.
Aisle 1: Poems, Podcasts, and Good Reads
Please browse all of the Restore's stock of poems, podcasts, and good reads below. You can view any of the free content by clicking on the hyperlink.
Poetry helps us to feel. It can make confusing emotions real. Poetry can inspire, wrench our desires...comfort our pain and motivate our gains. Here are some of our favorite pieces of poetry.
Looking for more?
Looking for something to listen to on the go? Check out some of our favorite podcasts that are all about women.
- Morra Aarons-Mele is the founder of Women Online and hosts The Anxious Achiever podcast. Morra shares how her agency pivoted during the pandemic after losing 30% of its business overnight, and how anxious entrepreneurs like herself can lead effectively in a world full of stress and uncertainty.
- The Therapy for Black Girls Podcast is a weekly chat about all things mental health, personal development, and all the small decisions we can make to become the best possible versions of ourselves.
- This podcast encourages women to level up and constantly become a higher version of themselves. It includes confessions on mental health, femininity, relationships, spirituality, fashion, and more to ensure that listeners are ever-changing, ever-growing, and ever learning on their Goddess level up journey.
- Now, more than ever, women are shattering glass ceilings that once limited their ability to dream, grow, and change the world. No longer do women have to choose between family or career—they can have it all! As the definition of womanhood continues to advance so does the woman’s need to connect and assess where she fits in the ever-changing world around her. There is no better time than the present to awaken, identify, and release the unique offering of the woman.
- Join Jade & Keia who are two black women just trying to figure things out. Conversations about adulting (it is hard) and how to navigate friendships, careers, and life make this podcast real!
- We are hardwired for connection, and connecting requires courage, vulnerability, and conversation. Join Brene Brown in this podcast that’s real, unpolished, honest, and reflects both the magic and the messiness of what it means to be human. Episodes will include conversations with the people who are teaching me, challenging me, confusing me, or maybe even ticking me off a little.
Looking to get lost in a good book? Here is a list of some of our favorite books with recommendations directly from the women on our WLI planning committee. Are you a bookworm? Send us your top picks!
- This is a book that really helped me navigate my early and mid-twenties. Commonly it is professed that your twenties are years that don’t matter and there is so much time to mess up. While that is partially true, this book highlights some of those inaccuracies. For me it put into perspective that the life I want in my 30s and beyond, doesn’t just happen or appear. There are decisions and habits to establish in my 20s to help facilitate in the transition of living the life I desire to live. There is so much personal growth, brain development, career development, and overall life that occurs during this decade of living and this book really helped prepare me for those realities.
- - Challen Wellington
- This memoir by Iranian author Azar Nafisi recounts her experience teaching in Iran shortly after the Iranian Revolution and her unwillingness to compromise her values and beliefs in order to keep her job. She continues her work by starting an underground group of women still seeking to learn and they become much more than a class as they navigate resistance, self-empowerment, and finding a sisterhood of support within each other.
- - Dr. Erin Sylvester Philpot
- Yes, this is a children’s book...but the simplicity of the message is a helpful reminder for every woman to hear at any point in her life, especially on those days when we feel like we are having a hard time getting things right. If you babysit any girls or have children of your own, this is a beautiful book for confidence and courage.
- - Dr. Erin Sylvester Philpot
Aisle 1: Featured Deal of the Week
Get the Woman Evolve podcast by Sarah Jakes Roberts for 100% off! A completely free podcast that will explore what it means to be a woman in 2021 and how to continually fight through the glass ceiling. This podcast already has over 100 episodes released, with new episodes coming out every Wednesday.